So if you are struggling to transfer your mail account settings and locally stored emails from Win thunderbird to Mac thunderbird, below is the step by step guide.
- Thunderbird installed on Mac OS, installs in the following directory - /Users/
/Library/Thunderbird/profiles. If you want to explore the directory, try MAC + SHIFT + G and type in the complete path. Finder doesn't show certain directories.
- This is where the thunderbird profile is stored. Copy the profile from the windows machine and paste it in the profiles folder on MAC.
- Rename the existing folder to profile.orig and change the new profile you copied to the profile name created by thunderbird which you just renamed above without the .orig.
- Go to thunderbird in offline mode and all your account settings etc will be available in MAC.
- Now you can change the local folder to the folder where you wanna store the downloaded emails by going to Tools -> Account Settings --> Local Folder or you can keep the existing one. Close thunderbird.
- Copy all the locally stored email files from windows machine over to the local folder identified in step 5.
- Restart thunderbird in offline mode and you will have all your emails available for viewing.
- You can restart in online mode and start using thunderbird for managing your emails.
You can follow the same profile copy approach for firefox. So far i am happy with Safari as my preferred browser but if you have VMWare for WIN7 you can use the same approach to copy the profiles and you will have the entire data set with saved passwords etc.