The reason for XP/VISTA behaving like this with certain programs is because the Registry setting for License no longer has correct permissions. Below is the fix.
1. From an Administrator account, run RegEdit.exe.
2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Licenses.
3. Right-click on that key in the left pane (the one that shows folders) and select "Permissions".
4. Use the Remove button to remove all users and groups from the permissions box.
5. Then click the Add button and in the "Enter the object names to select" box, type "Everyone" (without the quotes), then click the Check Names button.
6. The Everyone you just typed should become underlined, if the system recognizes it.
7. Click OK to return to the main permissions dialog; you'll now see only one entry, for the Everyone group.
8. Below it, select the box for "Full Control - Allow", which should also turn on Read - Allow. Then hit the OK button to finish it.
Run the Troubled program and you should be all set :-)